For independent practitioners, making sure your clients are billed accurately and in a timely manner can be a tedious task, cutting into the time you could be spending with your clients. Getting direct billing organized through a client’s insurance provider can be even more exhausting and complicated than it’s worth if it leads to undue stress. Payment delays, confusion regarding benefits, and a myriad of other problems can arise. Thankfully, Superbills are a great alternative to make your life and the life of your clients infinitely easier.
What is a Superbill?
Essentially, a Superbill is given directly to your client as a receipt after they’ve paid for your services. They’re commonly used if you don’t accept insurance in your practice or are “out of network” for your client’s insurance plan.
Often used in healthcare, Superbills are a standardized, detailed receipt that health practitioners can give to their clients to make billing and claiming of benefits a whole lot simpler. They carefully detail all of the services rendered during your client’s session, so that they can then submit their Superbill directly to their insurance provider for full or partial reimbursement.
Why do they matter to me?
Delays, complications, and all kinds of issues can come up when you’re the middleman between your clients and their insurance company. Superbills eliminate this stress and confusion completely.
By using Superbills, you get paid upfront and provide your client with their Superbill as a receipt. If you’re using Practice Better, clients can download these directly from their Client Portal. Your client then sends off their Superbill to their insurance company and gets reimbursed directly, whether partially or fully, depending on their plan. This takes a large amount of work off of your plate and makes your administrative life that much more streamlined. It also means you don’t find yourself waiting for payments because of insurer delays, alleviating some of that financial uncertainty for your business.
Will it help my clients?
Sometimes the wording in insurance plans can be hard to navigate. Full of legal and medical jargon, they can be murky and painfully convoluted. Superbills get rid of the guesswork and make everything simpler for your clients. They get all the details their insurance company will need to reimburse their claim so they don’t have to go fishing around for information
Having a third party (you!) take care of insurance claims can make things just as messy and complicated for your clients as it does for you. Not knowing if you submitted the claim on time, correctly, or accurately, can be a source of stress for clients. By giving your clients a Superbill, they can submit the detailed receipt directly to their insurance company themselves, eliminating that uncertainty and streamlining the whole process. It’s truly a win-win scenario – your workload is lightened and their stress is reduced.
What information goes into a Superbill?
- Basic client information such as name, age, date of birth, and contact information
- Your practice’s information such as office address, phone number, etc.
- Provider’s information including names and National Provider Identifier (NPI) in the U.S. or Medical Identification Number (MINC) in Canada, as applicable
- ICD or International Classification of Diseases code(s) for medical diagnoses
- CPT or Current Procedural Terminology code(s) for any and all services rendered
Still not convinced? We asked the Practice Better community why they love Superbills and here are some of their answers:
- “Superbills are a very important part of my practice. I don’t take insurance, so very often provide them for families. It’s nice to have an easy and straightforward way to create them.” – Rachel R. MS, RD, CLEC
- “I use Superbills when a patient wants to submit to their insurance company to see if they can get any out of network coverage for their appointments with me.”
– Dr. Meredith Rusthoven DNP, CNM, BSN, RN
- Since I do not bill insurance directly, I always use superbills for those people who want reimbursement. – Dr. Danielle Cornelius DC
- “I love that Superbills are super easy to populate and use. When I make an invoice, I immediately then make a superbill.” – Meg Bowman MS, CNS, LDN
- “Since I take insurance for Nutrition Counseling, I provide Superbills through Practice Better, when I do testing that is out of network – such as a Food Sensitivity Test. Patients download their Superbills through Practice Better, and submit to their insurance.” – Ellen Metzger MS, RD, CLT
Why wait? It’s super easy to start using Superbills with Practice Better! Visit our help center for a step-by-step walkthrough and you’ll be creating your own Superbills in no time.